Sunday, July 15, 2012

Blue Cheesy Monster


You've probably heard about the horrible storm that hit the Washington area a couple weeks back.  We were away at the time and came back several days later amazed  at the sight of crushed roofs, uprooted trees and fallen light poles. Our house, however,was spared. Even the electricity was on most of the time, and friends and family were able to cool down there and to recharge their batteries. In fact,as somebody told me later, the place looked like a Starbucks- there were people with laptops at every outlet.
It wasn't until 10 days later that I discovered a victim of the storm in my basement. My cheese cave -very modern and electronically controlled- didn't survive the storm, and by the time I became aware of it, alien life was running rampant there. It nested itself on my beautiful, new, snow-white kefir cheddar cheese and turned it into a Blue Cheesy Monster. The thing looked scary.

I can't blame my children who screamed and yelled and ran away, and didn't come back until couple of hours later. For all these scary looks, however, the Monster smelled wonderful and, once I took a plunge and tasted it, tasted great - a bit underripe, but great. So I decided to give it a chance, tidied it up a bit, poked some holes in it so mold could get inside,  and put it for ripening in a cool place. it should be ready in several weeks. I am hoping for something resembling Stilton. Would you like a taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment