Thursday, June 21, 2012

KEFIRETA







As it often happens, it was not a plan but a deviation from a plan that got me here. I set up to make a perfect summer cheese, my " Sommerkase"- kefir cheddar. So you warm up two gallons of milk to 90F, add a bottle of Lifeway kefir straight from the fridge, mix well, and leave alone for 45 min. Then add rennet, cover the pot with a lid, and take your pot outside into this wonderful 90 -something  degree heat. Wait (yes, you may wait inside!) till a clean break, about 45 min.  Once the clean break is achieved, cut you curd into 5 mm cubes, wait for a couple of minutes and cut diagonally. Let the curd settle and leave it in the heat. No stoves, no measuring temperature - let the weather do the job. All you have to do is to stir occasionally and prevent the curds from matting. I got this beautiful, even curd, set it out to drain, went through a couple of cheddaring steps, and forgot about it till midnight.
 



 And then it was so late, and I was so tired that I stated looking for a fast and easy escape. The head of curd looked beautiful. Yes, it would make a great cheddar-type cheese, but it can also be turned into something else, like a decent pasta filata. But then I remembered that sitting in my fridge is a jar of a wonderful, strong and aromatic brine, full of herbs and spices,  that I've used for feta couple of weeks back.  So that's what it's going to be - aromatic feta, made with kefir, Kefireta. Simple, elegant and so exciting! I can't wait to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment